Friday, June 4, 2010

Tot School

(Nathan is 30 months old)
We had another fabulous week of tot school!!! Here's what we've been up to!

Sticker Fun:
I found this book at a consignment sale. It's the story of Noah with stickers that you add every few lines. We had a blast with this and it was great for Nathan to learn the names of Noah's sons, to practice the fine motor skills, and to match the picture in the book to the sticker. We'll be doing this again for sure!
To continue our sticker fun... I found 3 amazing Priddy giant sticker books at Garden Ridge for just 3.99 a piece!!!!! They are these 3 books and they retail for $12 a piece! Check out your local garden ridge!!!
After putting all the "e" stickers on and piecing together the elephant, we started writing. Nathan loves to write letters and "E" and "e" were no exception!
Phonics/Word/Spelling fun:
I checked out this Hooked on Phonics program from our library, covered the workbook pages with page protectors and Nathan and I set out to work through it. Dry erase crayon in hand, he completed over 30 pages without stopping. I finally stopped us so we could eat lunch. It's a great program with many activities, including writing, matching, tracing, flash cards, a DVD to follow up on the unit, and a book to follow up on the unit!
Nathan also completed about 10 pages in his KUMON upper case letters book.
We have used letter magnets a bunch this week learning word families and practicing more on sounding out words. This kiddo has a love for reading already!
I drew pictures and asked him to write the word on the blanks. This was a fun activity (and one than challenged my drawing skills)!
Playing in a box is always loads of fun! Especially when you learn to tip the box over while sitting in it! Talk about a core workout!
I showed Nathan a picture of our Compassion child and asked him if he'd like to draw a picture for Abdul to send in our next letter. He was so excited and eager to "make Abdul so happy and help him smile." He wrote Abdul's name (with me spelling it for him) on the front and back of his picture. So sweet to see his excitement over this.


Tracing/Drawing Fun:
I drew some pictures for Nathan to trace and he thought it was funny to trace them right side up and upside down. Then he drew some pictures of his own. Lately, his favorite thing to draw is a crane. :)
Art Fun:
Nathan and I spent one morning painting and we had a blast. On some pages, Nathan "traced" my outline and then painted it in (like the traffic light and stop sign). On other pages, he did his own painting; of course no painting day can be complete without handprints!
Puzzle Fun:
Nathan was really into puzzles this week. He did all of his puzzles at least once and some of them many times. He's getting really good at figuring out how to put different elements together (like the truck then the bulldozer) and then fitting the elements together.
We also did this folder game from Carissa. You can find it here. Nathan loved matching the mommy letters to the baby letters.
Carissa has fabulous idea and tons of resources!
Check them out by clicking on this button below.
Tot Books & Packs

I'll leave you with my favorite two pics of the week...

Have some fun ideas you want to share? Visit Carissa's blog and link up your post and let's continue to share the valuable lessons we teach our kiddos!

4 comments:

Fiona said...

wow he is amazing-I can't believe he is only 30 months! These are the sort of things my 44 month old is just starting to do!

Monica said...

It sounds like you had a great week! My older so is about your son's age and he is interested in writng letters, but I was holding him off because I didn't think he was old enough. Maybe I'll start showing him a little.

We like stickers and paint around here too!

Stefanie said...

He is just too cute with that grin.

I love his crane.

Chad said...

I love it when Nathan plays in the baskets. He gets himself so cracked up! Thanks for taking these great pictures...we will cherish these forever. :)