Thursday, December 17, 2009

I couldn't believe it...


We've been having a little nap drama lately... in the form of, "I'd rather play in my bed than sleep mommy." That would be fine but my toddler is CRANKY without his nap, so lately I've been trying to enforce the sleeping... how in the world you do that I don't know, but I tried a new strategy yesterday and it worked!!! Nathan normally naps from 1-330. At 325, he was still jumping, playing, laughing, whining, flipping, etc in his bed so in my best "I mean it" tone, I walked into his room and said... "Nathan, it is nap time and you will not be allowed to get out of your bed until you have taken a nap... closed your eyes and fallen asleep." "alright your momma," he says. I sing him a few songs and he was out (thank you Jesus that he was out in his bed and not my arms because I'm not tall enough to lay him down over the rails of his crib!).


330pm Wednesday afternoon and he's sound asleep... so me and my exhausted self head to the sofa for a much needed nap...

At 6pm, I wake up startled because it's dark, Chad walks in from work and wonders where our child was... still asleep.

Asleep he was. 9pm comes... still asleep. 11pm... still asleep... at midnight, we go into his room to change his diaper to an overnight diaper and give him some milk (after all, his last meal was at 11am). After drinking the last little bit, he hands Chad his sippy cup and requests his bed because he is "so tired daddy", and back to sleep he goes...

8am Thursday morning... 17.5 hours later, Nathan wakes up happily, telling anyone who will listen how he slept sooo good and that he was a biiiiig snoozer!

17.5 hours, no kidding. People, I'm so jealous!

3 comments:

Emily said...

wow! there is NOTHING better in this whole world than a happy well rested kiddo!!! NOW--I have been waiting very patiently for his 2 year update!!!!!! ;)

Eve said...

wow! I can't believe that you just let him sleep through dinner!!! I don't know if I could have done that but kuddos to you!

Anonymous said...

Ha! That is the funniest and cutest story! I can imagine you guys checking in as the night wore on, and I love that you just went with the flow. I'm sure he did wake up in the best mood after such a restorative sleep. With a 5-month old, I rarely see more than a few hours of sleep at a time, so this story was quite interesting to me! :)
Love you!
Autumn