Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Day in cloth diapers




One day, I photographed Taylor each time I changed her diaper. 14 times I photographed a fresh diaper. 13 of those were cute cloth diapers. 1 was a disposable diaper that I used just to give a comparison photo for those not in the world of cloth diapering-bottom row, 3rd pic. The “sposie” is a pampers sensitive, size newborn (yes, she can still wear a nb sized diaper). Taylor is a pooping and peeing queen and she doesn’t like to be wet or poopy so she gets changed... a lot. She also has a sensitivity/allergy to something in disposable diapers and if she wears one, even for 30-45 minutes, her butt turns bright red and it takes days to heal. Needless to say, I took the sposie off of her after I snapped the picture. Thankfully, we were familiar with cloth before we discovered this sensitivity! Anyway, back to the cuteness... Miss Taylor. There are several different brands pictured below, including:

  • Soft bums Echo One size fits all
  • Bum Genius All in One size small
  • Rainshine Designs pocket diaper size small
  • Swaddlebees All in One size small
  • Happy Heiny pocket diaper size small
  • Happy Heiny Mini pocket diaper
  • Very Baby pocket diaper size small
  • Nana’s Bottoms All in One size small
  • Fuzzibunz pocket diaper size XS
  • OBB Marathon pocket size small
  • Bottombumpers AIO size small
  • Totsbots Tiny fit AIO

I’m so thankful that we are using cloth, and saving so much money in the process! It’s also so much healthier for our little girls bum! Not to mention, it’s so much more fun than plain old white swaddlers!


Cloth diapering is addicting! If you cloth diaper, you know what I mean. If you don’t use cloth, you probably think I’m crazy! :) Well I’m certainly crazy, but man, these things are so cute! Taylor is such a little peanut and that has posed some unique diapering challenges! In her first few weeks, she was even too small for preemie diapers, but we made them work. Our stash then consisted of Nana’s Bottoms AIO preemie, Wonderworks XS, 2 kushies preemie, and a few tiny diapers I made.




These photos (above) were taken when she was about 10 days old. You can see how the tiny diaper is still a bit big on her, yet not too bulky. At this point, preemie pampers were also too big for her!

As she grew, we were able to find more diapers that fit her. We kept on using the Nana’s Bottoms in preemie and bought more in size newborn. We got a few more wonderworks xs diapers, about 10 Bum Genius XS diapers, 4 Fuzzibuns XS, a few Little Joeys, and some preemie prefolds and XS covers.



We have bought most of her diapers used! I know, it sounds a bit gross at first, but you are able to disinfect them with each wash and it’s a great way to save even more money. As she’s grown out of her diapers, I’ve listed them for sale at www.diaperswappers.com or on craigslist and have made money to but the next size up. Once she moved out of the “newborn diapers”, we moved her into our current stash of Bum Genius smalls, Fuzzibuns XS (they still fit), Fuzzibuns OS perfect size, Soft Bums OS, Nana’s Bottoms small, Swaddlebees small, Totsbots tiny fit, Tots Bots easy fit, Happy Heiny minis, xs, and small, Blueberry small, wonderworks small, OBB Marathon’s in small, very baby smalls, bugga bugga boutique, thirsties duo size 1, dreameze small, drybees small, grovia OS, and so many more. Our current stash is working perfectly for us! My favorites right now are Tots Bots tiny fit and easy fit, fuzzibuns, bumgenius smalls, and happy heiny minis. As you can see from the bottom left photo, cloth diapers don't have to be bulky! They are just about as thin as the Huggies Pure and Natural on the bottom of the pile! :)



3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think this is awesome in theory ;) It just sounds too overwhelming for me to start! Have you done any calculations (or know of any online) of how much money you save? Hope you and your little ones are doing well!

Jennifer said...

Here's a calculator where you can figure that out: http://www.diaperpin.com/calculator/calculator.asp. A lot depends on what kind of diapers you choose. We cloth diapered from the beginning with our older son and are now doing it again with our younger son, and we love it! In fact, I count Katie one of my "converts." She thought it was too much at first too, and now look at her! :-)

Jennifer Burney said...

Thank you for posting this. I'd like to try cloth diapering, but my husband would not want to buy them new, and I haven't found any at consignment sales. I've also been overwhelmed just thinking about all the options out there, so thanks for listing your personal favorites. I'll have to check those websites!