Today, Nathan was playing on the floor in his room while I changed his sheets (which of course is a long involved process thanks to all the bumper ties that have to be untied and then retied after the clean sheet has been put on, I digress). In Nathan's bookcase, he has these...

it's a simple set of wooden beads about an inch in diameter and you can lace them on the strings provided. Well, he loves to carry around the beads and we've strung them (meaning he watched and I strung) on the string before but stringing them is certainly not his favorite activity. In the middle of retying his bumpers, I looked down and he was sitting on the floor putting the string through the hole in one of the beads and pulling it out of the other side. I was dumbfounded as this is a very difficult fine motor skill and he was doing it! This is easily a 2-3 year old task but I loved the beads and thought they would be fun to use one day. I had no idea that day would be today.
I sat with him for another minute or two and watched him take the bead off and string it again. I was amazed that he knew to hold the string about two inches from the end and with such patience he fed the end of the string through the hole, switched hands and grabbed the string out of the other end. He did this 3 more times. All of this fine motor stuff from a kiddo who was delayed in fine motor development from 3-12 months.
I had to share because it was a proud mamma moment!
As was Nathan signing "sleep" when I asked him if he was sleepy - another sign I've never showed him but his signing video does show.
Thankfully this follow on the heels of my post yesterday regarding me reminding myself to love my little man for WHO HE IS and not simply for what he does. It's easy as a mom to love your kiddos when they are successful, but not as easy to "love" them when they've dumped rice all over the floor and poured out the dog's water bowl. in the same 3 minute span of time. Thankfully, I'm working on loving Nathan for WHO HE IS... it made cleaning up the rice and water much more enjoyable. :)








3 comments:
Very sweet! :)
Nathan is such a smarty! We had a great time on Saturday. Hope to see you soon.
That is awesome that he was able to do that fine motor skill! I would love to meet him too bad we are not in NC too often.
Post a Comment