Sunday, February 21, 2010

Big Boy Underwear!!!

Saturday (2/20/10), Nathan decided he wanted to pee pee in the potty. He's said it before and gone once or twice, but it never lasts more than that one time that day... Saturday was a bit different. I sat him up on the big potty and he peed! All over me! He said, "uh oh mommy I didn't pee pee in the potty, I pee peed on the potty." I still praised him lavishly and bestowed upon his little hand a jelly bean. We proceeded to his room where I showed him big boy underwear. He'd never seen it, except on us (not big boy underwear on us but... oh you know what I'm saying) and he was thrilled with the thought of himself wearing underwear with trucks and cars. We talked about keeping the trucks dry and not pee peeing on them, and off he ran to show daddy his cars. 10 minutes later, we're reading a book and my lap is wet. So we run to the potty and he successfully dribbles the last little bit out... and receives a jelly bean and more car underwear that's dry. He spent the rest of Saturday morning (a good 4 hours) happy to sit on the potty and pee pee or just try. His car undies remained dry. He ate way too many jelly beans but boy were they motivating! We put him in a diaper for nap and he hasn't mentioned wanting to wear underwear since. I'm okay with that... when he's ready we're ready, but he did tell YaYa about peeing on the potty and since I was accident free at 18 months, I have a feeling when she stays with him for a week, he'll eat way too many jelly beans and pee pee on the potty even more. Who knows, maybe this very afternoon he'll want to pee pee on the potty again, or maybe he and YaYa will have a potty training party... or maybe he'll be 5 before he's potty trained... at any rate, the big boy undies had to be photographed and blogged about because this is like our baby book for him... and what a milestone undies are!!!



Here are my questions for those of you who have potty trained kiddos before...

how did you do it?

what did you do in public during the learning days?

did you stay at home for three days with a naked tot?

did you cut the diapers cold and just go with undies?

what about nap and nighttime?

what about pooping?

HELP!!! I didn't think we'd be here, but here we are!

6 comments:

Heather said...

i went cold turkey with all three of mine and it worked! (i potty trained them all right at 2). once they had underwear they never went back (not even at nap or night time) and honestly we can probably count the night time accidents on one hand (for all three). Nap time was never a problem either. PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE is what we did:) blessings!
email me if you wanna know more details:)

Anonymous said...

yay for big boy underwear!!

Caroline said...

We did what Heather did - cut diapers cold turkey and went to underwear right away. We too could only count the number of nighttime accidents on one hand and I think he only had one naptime accident. We stayed at home at least 3 days but it took him about 2 weeks to totally hone the skills, esp. #2. We praised with M&M's and made a sticker chart so he got a sticker everytime he checked his underwear and they were dry. I would also remind him (about 10,000x a day) to tell me when he had to go pee - that gave him some control of this process. It worked pretty well, of course we had our frustrations, but he got it and we haven't looked back. Its been right over a year! Nathan will probably do great, he's a smart kid!

Jennifer said...

We used a 3 day potty training method. Not naked, but with underwear. We stayed home for the entire 3 days. We tried doing it at night too, but he's just not quite ready for that. He was waking up 3-4 times to go pee. So he wears a pull-up at nighttime. He also wears a pull-up for naptime during the week at school. Unfortunately, he still uses the pull-ups to poop in. That will be the next challenge. But for now, no accidents and no diapers!

Amber said...

I waited until they were ready and very interested- no pressure from us here. They each had some early interest, but for actual process Carter was 38mo (had no interest, but Ginny taught him in a day with almost 0 accidents!) and Julia was 33mo (more traditional approach).

We do the cute undies, keeping the characters dry, and simple rewards. It doesn't take too long and accidents drop off pretty quickly. If they have a lot, then start setting a timer to make them try. We also don't wear pants at first.

We stuck to diapers for naps and night because we always had a rule they could not get out of the beds by themselves that young. If they will let you, keep the diapers- they are WAY cheaper. And Carter my slightly OCD child became hooked on one Cars pattern which was only half the package. Major inconvenience! Carter was night trained around 4yrs. We say 3 nights in a row dry to go without.

When we're out- ugh! That has to be the worst part, especially early on. Though boys are better because they can stand so less touching EVERYTHING in the public bathrooms. We love our portable potty in the car and used it all the time. We had the Fisher Price folding one that you line with plastic shopping bags. Just tie, toss, and go. A potty in the car is a necessity especially when the family grows- several young children in public BRs=yuck!
I also let Carter pee outside in concealed locations. I just give him a target ex)car tire or tree.

We did pull ups for church intially, though they are great about encouraging and reminding (usually). When I was out with them myself and wanted to keep them in underwear I would do undies and plastic pants on top. That way they still feel it, but laps, chairs, and car seats are protected.

As far as the pooping thing, my kids would often do it when they first woke up from bed or naps and still had diapers on. Fine with me. Better than the undies! There is nothing so gross as pair after pair. You'll start throwing them away :) It usually takes a good 6mo after they are totally pee trained though.

Happy training days!! We'll be joining you in a few months with Julia's round two :)

Tiffany Lockette said...

So I have a question on this discussion. Once they start peeing in the potty do you go straight from diapers to underwear or do they wear the pull ups then underwear, help, I'm confused to!!