34 weeks! Am I cute or what?
This has been a week of new things (another one!) and more movement. Let's see what's been going on in Nathan's life...
Sleeping - He is finally sleeping all the way until 730am again. For some reason, since we moved into the apartment, he's been waking up around 530am looking for his paci. He'd go right back to bed once we gave it to him, but that gets old after a while. This week, he's been sleeping until 730, waking up poopy and very wet, getting a clean dry diaper, a bottle, and he's been going back to bed until 930 or 10am! Yes, we're very thankful and realize that won't last forever!
Eating - Nathan finally learned how to feed himself this week. He's been able to pick up pieces of food for some time now but couldn't get it in his mouth. That all changed on the 16th when he ate his first pieces of toast - all by himself. (Video a little bit later) Nathan has tried a few new foods this week as well... baked potato, diced pears, yogurt, toast, and lentils. He hasn't figured out that with finger food, you actually do have to swallow that food. He chews it very well and then packs it into the sides of his cheeks! Funny! We're still working on a sippy cup. He knows how, he's just not wild about anything we've offered him from the sippy cup yet. He'd rather teethe on the spout!
Movement - Nathan is sitting up without any support or protective measures (I was keeping pillows or blankets behind him). He's rolling backwards on purpose as a way to get to his tummy to get a toy. We have to watch him on an surface other than carpet because he hasn't learned that this rolling thing isn't a good idea. Nathan is doing very well getting up on his hands and knees. Between his chunky thighs and his diaper, he has a hard time getting his legs close enough together to keep from doing a split, so we're doing a lot of diaper-less play these days! Nathan has also learned how to go from a seated position on to his hands and knees. He can propel himself forward a "crawl or two" but isn't "crawling" yet. He pulled up to stand for the first time this past Saturday on the back of the boat and has learned to pull up on our fingers and arms as well. We're trying to find other things the right height that are also sturdy enough for him to practice this new skill. Nathan also learned this week how to sit up on his own. He's been trying so hard for weeks now and would tirelessly try to go from laying on his back to sitting up. Boy has killer abs. This week, he finally did it (first time was for his babysitter Lucy) and he's so proud of himself! Also, he's reaching up and bouncing on his little butt to let us know he wants to stand. We're trying to teach him to say up.
Talking - well, here's the big friendly debate in our household... has Nathan uttered his first "word" or not? He has finally started the constant babbling (instead of screeching and squealing) and is using many consonants (w, b, d, m, g, and a few others). Here comes the debate. From the front seat, Chad and I hear Nathan utter both mama and dada - but did he actually say them? Well, the next morning, he said both again while mimicking my speech. But does it count? Within minutes of doing that, Nathan repeated me saying "ball" as we were playing with a ball. I was so excited and grabbed the video camera and spent so much time trying to get him to repeat it (of course kids love to do things when you least expect it and aren't ready with the camera). Well after some time, I got a clip of him mouthing ball, and another one of him actually saying ball. Problem is, Chad doesn't think it "counts" because he says "ba" and not "ball". Later that same day, while feeding Nathan, I was signing "more" like I have been for weeks. He actually said "moh" as I was signing. Again, I grabbed the camera and he did it several more times. But again, Chad doesn't think this is a real word because it doesn't sound like "more" and he doesn't do it every time... but then Chad said, if "ba" and "moh" are words then his first word was a long time ago and it is technically "ba ba" for bottle because he says that every night when I go to feed him. So you decide for yourself, are they "first words" or not? If so, Nathan now says 5 words... mama, dada, baba (bottle), ba (ball), and moh (more). Here's some video of "more" and "ball"... please post a comment on if you think these 5 utterances count as "words"!!! :) :) :) Maybe we'll settle the fun debate once and for all!
Feeding himself toast for the first time and saying "more"
saying "ball"
mouthing "ball"
I'm so happy in the morning when I wake up! I love to roll around in my blankets.
Today, while I was sitting in my crib, I discovered Bailey's nose through the rails! She was licking the bumpers in my crib. I stuck my hand through and she licked me too!
I wanted to stand up and find her...
and with mom's help, I did stand up...
and then I stood there all by myself!
New found freedoms - or frustrations, depending on who you ask... I don't like to lay down to have my diaper changed. I like to sit up and play with the things on my dresser. Mommy's going to have to rearrange!
This is how I sit up all by myself...
First I lean up and rock onto my left arm
Then I push really hard and straighten out my left arm while reaching with my right arm... mommy thinks my abs are so strong.
And then I'm up! Wait, something is missing! Where are all the things I used to try and play with? :)
Funny pics
Playing peek a boo
These days I'm really good at putting my own paci in my mouth!
Those are cool lights!
Are you kidding?
I'm trying to learn to crawl! I can get up on my hands and knees and rock and maybe even move my arms and then a knee, but I usually fall down after a "crawl" or two. I've also figured out how to scoot forward my digging my feet into the ground and pushing off!
I've learned something new. When I'm sitting up, I can lean forward and end up on my hands and knees. Or, I can reach out for a toy that used to be too far away!
Playing pics
I've been chewing on my fingers a lot these days because my gums have been hurting. I wish my teeth would just pop on out!
I love hanging out with my puppy (Leo joined us this time).
Look, we're all almost the same color!
Sweet baby boy
See... I'm getting hair in the back now! It's because I don't lay on my back very much anymore. I love to sleep on my tummy with my butt up in the air! When I'm playing, I usually sit up or try to practice my moves for crawling.
Friday, July 18, 2008
34 weeks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment