Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Homemade baby food take 2

Today, my friend Kendra, tried her hand at making Nathan homemade baby food. You know it's simple... cook the veges and then puree the mess out of them! Well, Nathan is by no means a picky eater, as long as gerber or beechnut make it. Here's what he thought of homemade baby food... a similar reaction to our first try 3 months ago.



It's kinda funny and it made me laugh. I ended up mixing it with peaches and he finally ate about half of it! Apparently there's something that Kendra and I don't do that the commercial baby food folks do... but I wonder what it is? Any suggestions? Feeding this little guy is getting expensive!

4 comments:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Seriously, the reason it is so smooth is because they put so much "other" stuff in it. If you can keep trying homemade, he will eat it. I am assuming that you put bananas in it? You could even just do bananas straight as is without pureeing. Also, when I tried to do veggies, I always added pureed pears, and that seemed to do the trick. Just keep introducing it and maybe if he keeps spitting it out, you can start slowly by adding 1/2 store bought and 1/2 homemade. Trust me, when he's hungry, he'll eat it and then just think of all the money you'll save, not to mention how much better it is for you.

Lauren and Justin said...

i love how he is fine, and then all of a sudden "tastes" the yuckiness! he is adorable :)

Missy said...

Hi! I found you on Caroline's blog roll (mom of a redhead) and saw the title of this post so I had to stop by. I have a 9 1/2 month old daughter, and she's been eating homemade baby food since the beginning, so I've tried all the tricks! Your little guy's faces are hysterical! He's adorable! I did a post on making homemade baby food back in June - this is the address below:
http://schmonseeslouisville.blogspot.com/2008/06/homemade-baby-food-tutorial.html
Initially I mixed organic/no sugar applesauce, pureed pears, or pureed bananas into almost every veggie b/c it masked the "fresh" taste. I hear that most kiddos love squash even if they dislike other things, but that is the ONLY thing that Hania refuses to eat! Also, the food processor worked much better than the blender to get a smooth consistency.
Good luck and feel free to leave me questions - I'd love to help if I can!

heather ann said...

Well, I'm sure my sister-in-law would have had some ideas for you on the homemade baby food because that's what she's done. But I just wanted to say I LOVE THIS VIDEO!!!!!!!!!! I just laughed so hard I cried & couldn't even talk while trying to tell Jeremy about it. So, I just played it for him & he died laughing too. Thanks for the laughs Nathan! :)
-Heather