Nathan is currently 16.5 months old

We've had a short week of Tot School because today we're headed to the beach!!!!! I'm sure there will be some tot school activities going on today and while we're at the beach, but you'll have to wait until next week to see those! :) I'm sure the 5 of you who faithfully read my blog (and I'm SOOOO honored you do) will be able to stand missing one day of activities. :) I digress... so this week, we did many new things!
Daddy got Nathan the game Connect 4 for Easter and thought we could use it in Tot School. He was right! We worked on putting the chips in the slots and color identification. I've not told him if you slide the bottom to the right all the chips fall out! Shhhh! That's our secret!
Window clings have also proved to be a great item of the week (minus the one butterfly Nathan ate and later I figured out he thought they were vitamins). Great for fine motor and creativity as he can plan where they go. They do look appetizing, so beware if you try this at home.
We had fun playing piano, as we often do. PaPa, these pictures are for you! Nathan has learned to sit at the bench by himself and he's very proud of this accomplishment. He'll walk to the piano and say "play. seat. yes." So sweet.
This new puzzle has been a huge hit and surprisingly he is very good at it. His favorite letters are the O and the Q because they are circles, but he's able to do this puzzle with about 40% accuracy. And a note on shapes, Nathan has begun to find circles and ovals all over the place. For example, today we were walked past Ross and he said "oval" and then "another one" as we passed the second sign. Kid's a genius I tell you! ;)
Using an empty bubble container (another of this weeks favorites),
and the wand, we worked on "in"...
and "out"
Doing some exploring in the yard
Nathan has learned how to blow bubbles from the wand and the bubble maker toy. I'm so proud of him and he is too. He loves to practice blowing bubbles, even with no solution. He also puts his face in the bathtub water and blows bubbles.
Puzzle time again... note the shirtless child... we've had a few struggles with wearing a shirt the last few days. I say you have to pick your battles, and this is one I'm certain is not worth fighting when we're playing inside!
Window clings...
Putting feathers into a Styrofoam circle... a good 20 minutes he worked on this over and over and over.
Toothpicks into a spice container... awesome fine motor and pincer grasp practice. This is also a great restaurant toy since it fits so nicely in the diaper bag!
I finally found "do a dot" paints and Nathan really enjoyed this... however, he wanted to put the tips in his mouth. I warned him that if he did it again, the paints would disappear...
and as you can see from the blue lips and the crayons, the paints were short lived. We'll try again tomorrow.
The drawing was quite a hit, and yes, that "O" was drawn by my kiddo! He was very proud of it too and said "O mama circ (translated = circle)".
Sticking Popsicle sticks in play-doh
Puzzles designed to teach him to match the front half to the back half.
Mom, I like this Tot School stuff!
Tiny little alphabet puzzles. Awesome idea from Rocker Tot's mom... many of these are her ideas!
More feather poking
Nathan loves to "draw" and anytime he sees a pen, he'll ask to draw. I've started letting him do so more often, especially when I'm trying to make a meal and don't need him hanging at my knees begging for a "bite". Works out great for both of us!
I love this clock! We've had it for a while because of Nathan's love for clocks but it seemed a bit overwhelming for him because it has 12 different types of shapes to fit in the holes so we've not had it out in about a month. Today, he pulled out the box and said "clock open yes", so you better belive I opened it right up. He sat down and began to place the shapes into the CORRECT holes one by one. I was amazed at how he studied the shapes and then looked for the appropriate hole.
Putting wheels on his trucks and driving them around. (Fun side note - this lap desk was mine as a kid. Thanks mom for saving it for me!).
All in all a great week with some new things! Nathan is doing really well overall and we are so excited to head to the beach! We'll talk to ya'll soon! Please leave us a comment to say hello! Check out all the other folks doing Tot School as well! To do that, click here.








3 comments:
Tot school looks like so much fun. I hope you all have a great time at the beach!!
Just a note..you've got another reader with me:) You have such great ideas for tot school...I'm really stocking up on my ideas! I've still got a few more months before my son is ready for any of them, but its still fun to learn new ideas to try when the time comes. And your Nathan sure is a cutie!! Hope you have a great week at the beach!
What an amazing thing you are doing with Tot School! I love the determination in his face! I love how he works at it until he gets it! Love the feather idea! Thought the shaving cream and paint was great even in the hair! And your right about picking battles if you are home why not go with out a shirt. Now if Cameron wanted to go with out a shirt that might be a fight I have to deal with but I will deal with it if and when that happens! I have gone on and on but I do love reading your blog and seeing the new things that Nathan does!
Post a Comment